Monday, December 10, 2012

You had to know this was coming

I've finished my degree, and I walk on Saturday.  It was a stressful ride, but I am so proud of myself for completing it.

This past month has been one of contemplation.  In the heart of rushing to meet a deadline, I was also looking to the future, at what happens after I finish.  It's looking less & less likely that I will have a position at any level, high school or college.  It's just the market is right now.  I get it.

As a result, I intend to "close" this blog.  I won't delete it completely, as I think it's still a source for other teachers out there.  I get a lot of hits on my poetry songs, symbolism, and mock trial entries, so I want to leave those for people who might find them useful.  I had hopes for this blog: connecting with other teachers, cataloging favorite lessons for myself or colleagues, brainstorming learning activities...and I think I could have kept it up if I had remained in a classroom.  Outside of it, I just lost the motivation to keep posting, even though I had a (short) backlog of possible lessons to include.  I still consider myself "a teacher" and may be able to get back into the classroom one day.  But life is going in a different direction right now.

I guess it's like a casual friendship -- it was good for the time, but it couldn't last forever.  Blogger and I have gone separate ways.  For other personal reasons, I will also limit my online presence in general, reading fewer (if any) blogs.  It's been a treat to get to know other teachers with great stories and experiences to learn from.  But the time has come.

Keep it real.