Friday, August 3, 2012

This is my Pinterest

Playing music to induce certain behaviors in the classroom isn't a new concept, so it's a little sad that it has taken me this long to think about setting up a classroom computer to set off the cues automatically.  A friend posted an edu-advice-question on her FB feed recently, and she shared that she already used a musical cue for packing up at the end of class; she sets up a timer each day to go off at the appropriate times.  This is one of those ForeheadSlap moments -- why didn't I think of that?  I often had problems with getting to the end of class, usually because I over-estimated what we could accomplish in a given class period.  I was always watching the clock, trying to gauge when it was time to wrap up.  By setting a little musical timer, it's a great cue for both the students AND me.  It would also ensure that I had enough time to wrap-up/set-up for the next class period, rather than rushing to get ready for next period since I didn't manage my time effectively in the previous one.  You know how that goes.  Or maybe you don't, because you are an absolutely awesome time manager.

So, I'm making a note of this for myself to keep in mind for when I do return to the classroom. 

Question:  I do wonder "What kind of music?"  Because if it's too familiar/catchy, kids are likely to sing along, which usually negates the whole "transition quickly/quietly" goal of using musical cues.  But if it's too cheesy, kids may not buy in.  If you use musical cues in your classroom, tell me how you do it!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! What program will you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered a program already hiding on any Windows PC that could do the trick: Task Scheduler. Instead of telling to start a program at a certain time, I can choose a music file which will automatically begin playing via whichever default music player I have. Maybe I'll update this shortly with a short tutorial on how to do that!

    ReplyDelete