Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer reading

Hopefully by now you are on summer vacation.  Unless you teach at a year-round school, in which case, I don't understand you at all.  Kidding.  But really, what is the usual schedule for year-round?

I think many of us like to use the summer to get caught up on reading (in between professional development workshops) and that has definitely been the case for me.  I have loved picking up books for fun and reading them at my own pace again.  I'm relishing it until the semester re-starts.

I have a constantly growing to-read list, so I plan to tackle a few items from that, starting with some tried-and-true favs:

  1. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  2. Ruby Oliver #3 & 4 by E. Lockhart
  3. Bubbles All the Way by Sarah Strohmeyer
  4. The Vanishing of Katharina Linden by Helen Grant

I've already finished Mockingjay , Ruby Oliver #3, and Vanishing of Katharina Linden.  And I'm ready to devour more.  The hard part is just deciding which ones!  What are you hoping to read this summer?

2 comments:

  1. A friend of mine teaches modified year round. They have two weeks off for fall, winter and spring break, and then six weeks for summer. Really the only difference to my year is I get a week for fall and summer, two weeks for winter, and then eight weeks for summer.

    Reading! I just started Jennifer Egan's "A Visit From the Goon Squad" (the latest to win the Pulizter) for book club. I also just picked up a few YAs at the library, including Libba Bray's "Beauty Queens", which I'm strangely super excited to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Also! I just bought "Signs of Life" by Natalie Taylor. She (and her deceased husband) went to high school with my work spouse, and he highly recommended the book for people who a) have a soul and b) are teachers. It looks saaaaaad, but I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete