Monday, May 2, 2011

One Trick Pony

Many of you are not in this position (thankfully!) and probably won't have to be for some time, but for those who are suffering the bane of job interviews, you may encounter this question which once tripped me up: Talk about a lesson (project/etc.) that went well or you're proud of.

I don't know about you, but I'm not used to thinking about positive things about myself all the time.  If asked what are ways you would improve or things you could change, etc., I could give you quite a list of those!  I think this is true of most people -- we have a hard time acknowledging good things about ourselves.  Do we think it's bragging?  Regardless, it's not a habit we often practice.

When I had this question, I could think of only two things, and one of those I had already talked about for a previous question.  I talked about those two things, but I worried that they were going to think I was a one-trick pony!

A few weeks later, after my brain had calmed down and I was able to reflect clearly, I made up a list of possible responses to that question.  I wanted to be prepared for next time.  The list included the mock trial, literary analysis breakdown, booktalks, students-teach-the-class projects, writing workshop portfolios, reading cinema unit, and a historical timeline project. 

How would you answer that prompt?  Talk about a lesson/project/unit that went well or you're proud of.

2 comments:

  1. It's happening right now. My sophomores, having read 12 Angry Men, are doing an extension activity that I borrowed from my significant other. After getting permission from parents, we watch the film "A Few Good Men", and then divide up into juries to deliberate the charges.

    We're in Day 2 of deliberations! The kids are so frustrated right now, and I am loving it! I'm excited because they will likely serve on a jury one day, or at least be called to serve...I'm proud of having an activity that calls on their reasoning skills, their ability to consider evidence, and their communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! I had never really thought about the importance of a mock trial to drive home the idea of being real citizens on a jury one day...I love that!

    When I get back in the classroom, I may be hitting you up for your strategies for 12 Angry Men ;)

    ReplyDelete