Monday, May 9, 2011

If I could dream

The last day of class, my comp professor posed an interesting question to us:

Let's say you have an entire year paid sabbatical (via grant, miracle, etc) to do whatever you want to do.  What would you do?


I wasn't sure exactly -- my first thought was read as much as I could about writing workshop so I could be an expert and hammer out a perfect (*cue laughter*) writing workshop procedure in my classroom.

But then I thought bigger.  If I could, I think I would take a year to explore all the different technology writing/composing media -- ones created for the classroom or not, ones schools could actually afford or not.  I would find ways to get my hands on the very newest stuff, to see what's coming.  I would find out all the possible ways to use Smart/Promethean boards, writing pads, movie-making media...and all those other things that I know must be out there but I have no earthly idea what to do.  I would compile my research into a giant Bible of Digital Media that cross-referenced every conceivable use of these technologies.

If there was one thing I came away with from that composition class was that I would really like to explore additional media for "composing."  I'm not sure I'd be experimental enough to give students a choice between a written or digital essay every time, but I'd like to be able to let the kids play a bit more with media than I currently do with them.  And part of the reason that I don't is because I feel so completely overwhelmed at the thought of what's out there and how little I know about it. So, there's my dream grant-funded sabbatical.  What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Tough. Your idea actually sounds really great, and more creative than mine. I'm more likely to really try to build a progressive curriculum, with lessons that build on each other directly and specifically, from the beginning of the year, to the end, that are specific to the text we read, and yet somehow magically also interchangeable if I wanted to switch texts.

    Yours is more doable!

    ReplyDelete