Monday, February 7, 2011

RIP, Brian Jacques

I will never forget the first time I read Mossflower by Jacques. I cannot even recall how I came across it, but I do remember the absolute magic that captivated me from the first page.  Absolutely riveting!  I followed that up with Redwall, Martin the Warrior, and some others.  I never read as many as I wanted to, as other books inevitably called my name, but I have always held a fond place in my heart for this master of contemporary fantasy.  The books appeal to all ages and are fantastic read-alouds (something I need to make note of for future classroom excursions!).  If you have not yet discovered one of Jacques endearing masterpieces, do yourself a favor and pick one up.  Don't be daunted by the size -- I assure you, it will read quickly.

On February 5, 2011 the world of readers lost a great man, Brian Jacques.  I plan to pick up Mossflower and re-read it again sometime this year in his honor (appropriately, I also have Castaways of the Flying Dutchman sitting in my audiobook queue).

2 comments:

  1. Mossflower was a discovery for me too, and it was during or after college, I think. Great books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved these books, too. I picked them up mostly to annoy my brother (you know, doing everything he did) but I fell in love with them on my own. I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Jacques.

    ReplyDelete