Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You can't stop me from breaking into song

Forgive me, friends, if I seem a bit too cheery for a Wednesday afternoon. But I have the sudden urge to burst into song.

Do you have your kids sign your yearbook at the end of the year? I was too anxious to ask the kids to sign my yearbook - silly isn't it? - because who knows what they might say. But my kiddos this past year I really missed, so when May rolled around, I asked the gal who took over my classes to offer the book to my kids. She graciously agreed.

The transport of said book got a bit sidetracked, but I've finally gotten it. The comments made me laugh and cry all at the same time. The girls, of course, were a bit more effusive than the boys, some of whom merely signed their names. But there was one message that positively made my heart stop. A young man, one of those "still waters run deep" kind - somewhat reserved, smart, but shied away from his potential in favor of being "cool" - wrote me a short note thanking me for challenging him and always pushing him to do his best.

I wanted to hug him and burst into tears simultaneously.

One thing I hope to do with my own flesh n' blood children is encourage them (read: make them) to affirm and thank teachers they love or feel challenged by. I hope to make sure that even when my students are in high school, their teachers receive something (a note, anything!) on Teacher Appreciation Day, even if I have to send it by way of carrier pigeon to do so. We teachers don't get much affirmation but when we do, words can't adequately express our joy. Even the tiniest hint of it can keep us uplifted for weeks.

My prayer for you this week is that you too may experience some little sign of affirmation, just a little something to keep you going and remind you of why you do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment