Thursday, September 2, 2010

10 Things

Teacher Meme

1. I am a good teacher because… I constantly strive to make learning fun through researching creative & challenging lesson plans/strategies.

2. If I weren’t a teacher, I would be… a stay-at-home mom.

3. My teaching style is… centered on respect and student-empowerment. I respect them and expect respect (for me and their peers) in return. I give them opportunities to take ownership of their learning through responsibility and passion.

4. My classroom is… currently much smaller and without any personal touches.

5. My lesson plans… aren't always fantastic but generally reflect the amount of time and thought I put into making the material engaging.

6. One of my teaching goals is… ONE?! to strive to learn more and be a better teacher every year. And to try a variety of grade levels.

7. The toughest part of teaching is… not always reaching every kid, by either just not knowing how or just missing him/her in the crowd. (it's a tie between this and bringing the kids home with you, emotionally)

8. The thing I love most about teaching is… getting to know young people and working with a new generation, wondering who they will become.

9. A common misconception about teaching is… that we are done by 3pm, have free & easy weekends, and 3 months off. All real teachers know the truth of those myths, so I won't get into it.

10. The most important thing I’ve learned since I started teaching… has been two things: 1. it is possible to love them through strict/strong discipline (i.e. don't be too nice.); 2. Don't beat yourself up for mistakes/little things.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. The one difficult thing about being an enrichment teacher at an elementary school is just how many students you have. I had about 130 when I taught high school, which already felt like a LOT, but now I have over 250 students that I only see twice in a 6-day rotation. I wish I could get to know their personalities even more. Although, I DO get to have them for 6 years in a row. :)

    ReplyDelete