Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Summer Book Review - How I Live Now

How I Live NowHow I Live Now by Meg Rosoff

My rating: 5 of 5 stars ("It was amazing")

Rosoff's fascinating narrator tells a compelling story of the impact a modern war would have on the everyday teen. It's a little bit of an experience for many post-GenY teens (no, really, what is their generation's nickname?) who have no idea what it is like to have a war fought on their home soil. The narrator, Daisy, goes through an amazing growth and change throughout the novel as she fights for survival with her cousins. She recounts the early days of the war, when the scenario felt more like a game, to the later days when they hid in the wilderness and didn't know if members of their family were still alive. Daisy's transformation and character growth is well done, seeing her ushered from a self-pitying young teen into a clever, determined young woman.

What a truly amazing book! I listened to this on audio and found my jaw dropping at times. I couldn't get from CD to CD fast enough. The violence and utter destruction of war is aptly portrayed, as is the dispersion (and unraveling) of families and friends. The book is quick and easy to follow, and could easily appeal to boys or girls.

Recommend: Yes, but only to mature 8th graders and up. See Topics Discussed

Topics Discussed: Anorexia, War/Violence, Sex (Daisy has a relationship with her cousin...a little weird for modern audiences)

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment