Saturday, July 31, 2010

Such a Pretty Girl

Such a Pretty GirlSuch a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

My rating: 4 of 5 stars ("Really Liked It")


This is an gritty, raw book. Without getting too graphic, Such a Pretty Girl maintains an intensity and honesty in addressing the very real terror and fight for control of a young girl who has been raped by her father. The plot of the novel takes less than a week to unfold, as Meredith fights to regain control of her life, her body, and her identity when her pedophile father returns from prison. Though it packs quite a punch, it is not without hope or heart.

It has been a long time since I finished a book in under 12 hours because I just COULD NOT put it down. I am definitely interested in reading more by Wiess. There are layers to this book, full of symbolism & motifs that make it a rich read for adults who enjoy picking apart the literature.

Technically I found this book in the adult fiction section of the local bookstore, which brings up an interesting question of What makes a novel YA?. I would definitely warn students that it deals with a very emotional and powerful issue, but I think they would find Meredith's story awesome and inspiring. Not for younger readers, but definitely worth sharing with young adults.

Recommend: Yes but high school or older.

Topics Discussed: Sexual Abuse, Family Dynamics, Independence, Self-Respect

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. I am a soon to be english graduate from BYU-Hawaii. I stumbled upon your blog awhile back...wanted to let you know I enjoy your insights on YA novels as well as the classroom. Definitely can't wait to get my hands on some of your critiqued books - I am still waiting for 5 stars, though!

    ReplyDelete