Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summer Book Review - Confessions of Georgia Nicholson

Confessions of Georgia Nicholson (#1 & 2) by Louise Rennison

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #1) Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison


My rating: 4 of 5 stars ("Really Liked It")
This first installment introduces Georgia Nicholson who provides us with a funny, snarky romp through the diary of a younger (brattier) Bridget Jones. Our narrator, Georgia, has the typical 'tude of a fourteen-year-old girl, but thankfully, we readers get to enjoy her snark and wit, rather than be a victim of it. I'll concede that at times Georgia is difficult to like, which probably costs this book a 5-star rating. In a slight defense of her, though: I know I was a complete brat from 13-14. Bad, bad times that I can look back on now with a slight shudder. And her relationships with her friends? Well, while they're not warm & fuzzy bonds, they are pretty typical of relationships with girls at that age. Why do you think teen girls seem to go through new groups of friends each year from 6th-9th grade? Despite the mean streak in Georgia, she still had me laughing out loud too often to dislike her tale. I will warn you, though, the ending is a killer, so make sure you have book 2 on hand!

Recommend: I would definitely recommend this book to younger teen or tween girls, from 5th through 9th grade and adults with a sense of humor who enjoy chick lit and YA lit.

Topics Presented: This is pure fun fluff about being a young (silly) adolescent, fighting with parents, drooling over boys, and trying to grow up.

And while I'm at it...

On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God: Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2) On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God: Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison


My rating: 4 of 5 stars ("Really Liked It")
Once again we get to join Georgia in her angst-ridden quest to avoid Kiwi-a-gogo with her family while simultaneously trying to hold on to her Sex God, aka Robbie. The former problem gets solved, but what about the latter? Is there trouble in paradise? And what is WITH her mother?

On the one hand, Georgia is as horrible & incorrigible as the first novel; because of that, I feel like I should dislike her...but I really don't.

A couple issues I had with this book are some strange characterizations. The first is her little sister Libby, who acts more like a 12-18 month old than a preschooler. The other strange characterization is that Georgia does NOT look forward to her developing "basoomers." Do you know any preteen girls who DIDN'T want breasts? I didn't know of any when I was in middle school! This little detail about Georgia strikes me as v. strange.

Other than those little points against Rennison, Georgia is still hilarious and an apt representation of a fourteen-year-old girl. She seems mean at times to her best friend, Jas, but really...what girls are actually good friends to one another at that age? All the girls are equally self-conscious and self-absorbed, so it works. I do worry, though, that with 8 more books in the series, Rennison will try to continually capitalized on Georgia's teenage selfishness and continually write from the perspective of an early teen rather than having any development from young Georgia.

There are a total of 10 books in the series thus far, and I think I will be picking up the rest. A true guilty pleasure for a thinking adult!

Recommend: I would definitely recommend this book to younger teen or tween girls, from 5th through 9th grade and adults with a sense of humor who enjoy chick lit and YA lit.

Topics Presented: This is pure fun fluff about being a young (silly) adolescent, fighting with parents, drooling over boys, and trying to grow up.

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment