Monday, February 8, 2010

Progressive Survey #24

24. What is best thing you learned your first year of teaching?

Hm. This is a bit reminiscent of #5. And, as I think we can all attest, the first year is full of learning experiences. But for this I'll say...ask for help. Don't be afraid to admit when you don't know something, need help with a lesson, or need to run into someone's room in tears and say:
"OMG HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS EVERY DAY?!"

I had a few moments when I just couldn't keep it together and I found myself getting misty despite all my best efforts. I had a mentor who was on the other side of the school and caught up in her own changes (she switched classes mid-year), so I felt uncomfortable going to her. But I had two young, approachable teachers on either side of me. I can recall knocking on the door of one, looking for someone else, but the askee could tell something was wrong. She ushered me to my room, encouraging me to spill as I got all ridiculously weepy. I was, and still am, so grateful for that ear and counsel.

1 comment:

  1. I learned that I had to give myself GRACE every single day because I was NOT going to be the teacher I wanted to be my first year...and truthfully, I don't ever want to become THE teacher I always want to be because then that would mean I'm done learning and it's time to retire :) I learned that I was going to make mistakes every day and I just had to be ok with that. I had to be ok with lessons flopping and learning from my mistakes....and 5 years later, I still have to remind myself of that :)

    ReplyDelete