Friday, January 15, 2010

Progressive Survey #8 & 9

Oops, I missed the boat yesterday, didn't I? We'll just double up our dose today.

#8. When did you decide to become a teacher?
I heard this one told a million times over when I was in college. I did play teacher at one point as a kid, but I don't reflect on it as something I was as passionate about more than playing "House." I had intended to be a veterinarian until my senior year of high school, when I realized I was more excited about my English classes than my Chemistry classes! When I switched over, I don't even remember when the lightbulb came on that I'd be a teacher. Honestly, I think it was because I could get a scholarship. Not as noble a story as you usually hear, but it worked out. I love it.

#9. Where do you see yourself in 8 years? (I won't tell your principal)
Ideally speaking, I see myself....at home, taking care of one or two little ones. It's incredibly important to me to be able to stay home with our kids. If I go any further one this, I'll sound rather preachy, but...yeah. Maybe that makes me a bad teacher, but I don't really care. I know it'll be best for our family.

1 comment:

  1. #8: I don't really know when I wanted to be a teacher. One day during my junior year of high school I was mulling over careers and my dad suggested teaching. Because I'm very susceptible to suggestion, I agreed. I was going to be a Spanish teacher, but after the fall semester of my sophomore year of college, I switched to English and never looked back.

    #9: I want to be in the classroom. I tell people that and they look at me all sad, like I have no other ambition. I don't want to get into administration. I'm happy in my classroom where I can read and discuss literature. That's what I like!

    ReplyDelete