Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Progressive Survey #7

#7. Have you ever strongly disliked a student?

I'm sure that there has been, but strangely enough the students that immediately come to mind are students that were a challenge management-wise but not in belligerent ways --mostly in ADHD ways.

Still, one student who comes to mind was a guy who, at the beginning of the year, I was pretty sure had no soul. He was so cynical, so deadpan. He used to mutter things under his breath, which he stopped after I talked to him about it. By the end of the year, however, I think I'd come to better understand him and I even almost missed him a little. He's graduating this year and - astoundingly - stopped by my room during one of the last days to say, "Hey you're leaving? What's up with that?" He has grown up SO MUCH the past couple years, it is truly astounding. He's still very sarcastic, but I'm so impressed by the changes I've seen (just in the hallway!) the past two years.

On the flipside, I can think of someone who followed an opposite trend. At the beginning of the year, he was a fun kid. But by the end of the year, I got so sick of him. He's incredibly bright, and he knows it. Most of my kids who read in their spare time know to put it away when I start talking. He would not. I would have to tell him to put it away, and he always acted like it was an inconvenience. He was also super-goofy and did ANYTHING just to get a laugh from the class. Which, as you fellow teachers know, means a lot of behavior that causes eye-rolling from more mature individuals in the room, of which we are usually the few (or loner). He was one of the few students that I was SO HAPPY to pass along at the end of the year. Gah, he was annoying.

1 comment:

  1. YES!! ALL THE TIME!! OK, that makes me sound awful. In fact I just got a transfer at the beginning of the semester (AKA: last week) who I just can't stand. He's obnoxious and he completely ruined the wonderful chemistry my class had before him.

    ReplyDelete