Friday, January 8, 2010

Progressive Survey #4

Up early this morning! I know quite a few people in both of my former states of residence are out of school today. Even around here we're having a 2 hour delay, though I have no idea why. I can see that we got a dusting of snow but mostly it's just wet sidewalks now.

Oh. News says another cold front is moving through that should freeze these wet roads.

OK, I've put off this question long enough.
5. What about your profession is out of your comfort zone?

Strangely enough, it is being outgoing. I am an introvert and much happier to just stay back a bit and watch the goings-on. I'm fine if people come to me, but in the meantime I'm just as happy to observe and stay in the background. I've come a long way in the past few years, but even still, I think of myself as one of the quiet ones. For me, it is a struggle to push myself to be that person who initiates relationships and contact. But I have to - I have to be the one to approach students and ask them about their lives, etc. Because they're not going to be the initiators. They'll learn to do that themselves when they're older. For now, they need someone to set the example and to show interest in them.

Talking about novels and grammar I can do. Being goofy and dumb I can do. But initiating relationships is hard.


How about you? What about your profession is out of your "comfort zone"?

source: photo courtesy of p_x_g

1 comment:

  1. Organization. My desk is constantly covered with piles of papers, stacks of books teeter precariously next to it, and even student work is occasionally dumped in a drawer while waiting to be graded, just to get it out of the way. Sigh. I try to get better, but somehow, it just doesn't happen.

    ReplyDelete