Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Progressive Survey #16

#16. What is your preferred age to teach?

I'm not sure I can answer this question with complete certainty, as I've only ever taught 10th graders. I taught 9th and 12th in student teaching - but 9th were HONORS 9th, so I'm not sure they were a completely valid portrait of a freshman class. A teacher neighbor/friend taught 10th grade and now teaches 12th, and she assures me I would LOVE seniors. And while my sophomores would frustrate me from time-to-time, I am pretty happy with them. If given any choice, I think I might choose juniors.

I am tempted to try middle school; I loved the sixth graders I had a practica with. And some of my own most memorable teachers were during those middle school years. When I think about those sixth graders again, I absolutely melt. But I didn't have to TEACH and MANAGE them - mostly I got to have fun with them, so again, my perspective might be skewed. I guess my answer to this question is...I am too experienced to really know for sure. I just know it definitely wouldn't be kindergarten thru third.

4 comments:

  1. As long as I'm teaching, I'm happy. BUT if I had my choice, I would pick middle school. I taught 8th grade for three years and I now am teaching 9th and 10th graders. I do love high school, but I think my heart will always be with middle schoolers. They are at such a unique age and they are just so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach 11th and 12th graders and that's all I ever want to teach! I love the older kids because they understand so much more and I have a ton of fun with them. Also, I'm extremely sarcastic (I know, good teachers are never sarcastic...whatever dude), and the older kids get that about me and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so super heart my 8th graders. But if I REALLY had my preference....I'd start with 'em in 7th grade and loop with them through the rest of high school. Crazy? Probably. But I LOVE the middle school age, and I LOVE my individual kids, and I cannot STAND the thought of them falling through the cracks in high school, and I want to save them all, and...I don't know how else to do it.

    Realistically, 8th grade. So I guess I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've taught middle (8th) and high school (12th), and I am currently teaching Honors 10th, 10th, 11th, and 12th (keeps me busy, I know!).

    I knew going into teaching that I wanted to work with older high school students, and I definitely feel I'm well suited for what I've chosen! Had fun with 8th grade, but just feel that I can connect with the older kids better (if that makes sense).

    (AND after teaching 10th grade...I think that's definitely the lowest grade I want to go, ha!)

    ReplyDelete