Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Progressive Survey #11

Oh, come on, people! I know you have those stories! Do share. And if you're wondering what I'm talking about, go back one entry.

So I'm a day behind. Big woop.

#11. Do you want to be liked?

Yes, and I consider it a downfall. Daggone it, I care what other people think about me. It causes me to be a bit nicer than I should. I need to remember that they need firm expectations and discipline - that even if they don't "like" me because of it, it will make them better people. I had a professor once who said his goal was to be known as a really hard professor...but whose classes still fill up. I'd say that sums up my own attitude. I want to be known as a challenging teacher, but one the kids like anyway.

1 comment:

  1. For a very long time I thought I had to be liked by my students. When I was student teaching, I made the mistake of reading ratemyteachers.com and there was one post on there and it was negative. I cried my eyes out and then realized that they were teenagers and, honestly, who cares what they think? That's my attitude now, and it's something I tell my students. We're not friends, I'm not here for you to like me. Now, that doesn't mean I can't be funny and have fun and be a nice person, but it does mean that I'm not catering to a bunch of 17 year olds and their opinions of me. I think that gives the students a healthy respect for me, knowing I truly don't care what they think. It also makes it easier to act however I want. I dance and sing and act like a fool in front of my class without a care in the world. Had you told me 7 years ago this would be me as a teacher, I would have told you that's insane. But being comfortable with myself and stepping outside my comfort zone has made me the teacher I am today.

    OK, that was a lot of rambling, but I'm posting this anyway!! :)

    ReplyDelete