Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What exactly does a mirco-biologist look like?

My desktop wallpaper is one of my favorite photos from our wedding. Usually I have a powerpoint presentation up in front of it, but occasionally I have to transition to something else on-screen. Students have gotten a few glimpses of the photo, and I still get compliments on it. Sweet kids.

Yesterday, though, one student asked me after class:
"Mrs. P, is your husband a micro-biologist?"
"Um...no?"
"Oh. Or a geneticist? Maybe a doctor."
"Um...no, Student-of-Many-Questions. Why do you ask?"
"Oh, no reason. He just...looks like a microbiologist or a doctor or...something." Student-of-Many-Questions paused in front of the photo (still on-screen), crossed one arm across his chest and rested his chin on the other hand in thoughtful contemplation. (I kid you not. What's perhaps scarier is that this a normal, natural pose for him).
"Hm," he said, and turned on his heel, leaving me to now ponder the picture.

So that's what a microbiologist looks like, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment