Sunday, August 16, 2009

Persnickety Tone - #42

Note: TONE, not mood. Do you have difficulty teaching this? I've never really talked about it at length before (I know, for shame), so I can't tell if I have difficulty teaching it. I anticipate a challenge, though, simply because it's a more subtle literary device.

The first obstacle I've encountered, though, has been just finding a lesson plan that focuses on tone and NOT mood. There are many lesson plans that use the terms interchangeably! I find this surprising since these are English teachers who probably have the same background as I do (English major, English Praxis, etc.). Still, there are English teachers with poor grammar, so I suppose it's possible that tone & mood can throw even the professionals for a loop.

In my hunt for some tone help, I stumbled across 2 fun lessons that I am eager to try! What's even better is that both incorporate technology, so they're a great little boost for your repertoire. The first involves the analysis of three songs: Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out for a Hero," Chad Kroeger's "Hero," and Mariah Carey's "Hero."

Curious? Go here to see what "sb" does with them!

I love that she was able to find 3 songs with a similar subject/topic but 3 different tones. Do you have any other songs that you think you could do this with? Hm...

Who can beat me in this game? Go! Find me three songs with 3 different tones but similar subjects! I'm off to peruse my ITunes library to see if I can fulfill my own challenge.

source: teachers.net "sb" from TX

No comments:

Post a Comment