Tuesday, August 18, 2009

It's a hit! - #43

Now here's something that's fun for the whole family - er, classroom (repeat after me: my classroom is NOT my home. my school is NOT my family).

So last post I mentioned a fun activity to teach tone with three songs. I promised you another lesson with technology, right? And thus I deliver: teaching tone with movie trailers. In my pursuit for fun/interesting tone activities, I followed Google here and here. And I'm so glad I did! Both suggest students viewing a movie trailer with a list of tone words in front of them, and select words that describe the tone. Then you play a second trailer - a "Recut" version of the original. These are apparently gaining in popularity; it means that someone has edited a new "trailer" for the video that appears to give it a new spin - like Mary Poppins as a horror film. So fun! We used Mary Poppins but I also procured copies of Sleepless in Seattle. If you find any other good movie trailers & recuts, do share. I found a list of tone words online that I liked and gave them copies to keep.

And if you're worried about getting YouTube access at school, I have more good news: there are methods to download videos! Yes! (ok, so if you already knew, why didn't you tell me!) I went to Keepvid.com and Savevid.com. Both are very easy. Just follow their steps, save to a disk, and take it to class. Another colleague shared Tubesock with me - apparently that you need to purchase & download, but it looks like it is more advanced, so if you plan to do a lot of gleaning from YouTube, you might find it worth the investment.

We had a lot of fun with this today. After we finished looking at the videos (very quick), I then took the idea of skits from this blog. In addition to the four tones she suggested (sarcastic, concerned, skeptical, and curious), I added dismay, enraged, and critical. They always want to be funny with their skits so sometimes they branched into sarcastic when they had critical but overall they got it and definitely had fun. Gotta love those days.

source: JustRead! blog, Teaching Tone AC article, BrightHub,photo by monicaandjoe

2 comments:

  1. What a great activity! Thanks for the video-saving tips-- those are definitely going to come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I actually have the BrightHub link bookmarked in my "to-do" reading list, so glad to see someone else has explored it too!

    Another idea for videos (though you'd have to test it to see if it works on the school's network) is quietube.com --- will allow you to "save" a youtube video and you can create a shortened link to the movie. There is also a plug-in for "Real" player (though if not already on your windows platform, I think you have to buy it as well). Anyway, just thought I'd share a few more ideas!

    Thanks again for the lesson idea!

    ReplyDelete