Monday, March 23, 2009

Post #16 - Don't be jealous

I'm on spring break! If it had come one week earlier, I wouldn't have appreciated it as much, and if it had come one week later, I might have been weeping in the corner.

So, here's a discussion question regarding breaks. They're certainly a plus as an educator, but I think anyone who considers him/herself a professional isn't in it for the vacation time. Does it bother you when people make those comments? Maybe they make snippy/bitter remarks about your snow days or summer vacation and it just raises your hackles? Do you respond and politely - but firmly - set them straight? Do you put them in their place with an equally snippy comment? Or do you just let it go?

Another quick question - your summer vacations: do you get bored & take a 2nd job? Or is the summer completely designated as "recovery"?

-----------------
My response: I haven't yet had anyone make a bitter comment to me about my breaks, but knowing my sharp tongue, I probably wouldn't let them get away with it. I would probably remark that "at least you can go to the bathroom whenever you want" or lay on some guilt trip about being responsible for the academic, emotional, and psychological improvement of 120+ individuals who likely do not appreciate - and do what they can to undermine - your hard work. I usually prefer the non-confrontational route, but if someone makes a smart remark to me first, I usually get my own dig in, too.

As for my summer vacations: no, it's not the reason I got into this biz, but by golly it's MY summer break. I'm willing to attend a conference for professional development, but not for longer than a week. I work my tail off the other part of the year, and that time is for recovery - mental & physical - as well as for next year's preparation. Thankfully, we are not in a position that I need to take a summer job, so I can enjoy doing exactly what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. I've never had anyone make a snide remark either - I do all my own griping AND gloating! ;D

    But I think I'd just reply, "you know, if teachers really have such a great deal, somebody would have to be pretty STUPID to choose NOT to be a teacher." >;)

    Hasn't happened... yet.

    ReplyDelete