Thursday, February 12, 2009

Post #4

So I'm not really original with these post titles. Does that honestly matter to y'all?

OK, I think this is my last technology post for now.

In my panic-induced labor to reduce my carbon footprint, I've tried to reduce my number of copies. OK, that's a lie. I'm completely self-serving: I just don't want to get yelled at for high copy numbers. But still, ol' Mother Earth gets some benefits here, so just take your judgmental stare somewhere else.

One way I have done this is by posting homework online so students don't need to get a copy of a reading passage, etc. "But how in the world do I do that?" you ask.

"Google Documents," I say, "Google. Documents."

Now, if you don't have a Google account, get one. If you already have a mail server you like, no problem, you don't have to use their mail. Google accounts have plenty of other neat features --like hosting documents!

I'm sure there's a way to embed a word document in my webpage. But I don't know how to do it. And Dreamweaver confuses the heck out of me. But I know how to hyperlink, so linking away it shall be. On Google documents, I set up whatever assignment I want them to complete, and "publish it." Google gives me a link, which I use on my website to hyperlink. For instance, a few weeks ago, students had to read this passage about Greek burial and then answer the questions that followed. They answered the questions on looseleaf paper and turned it in for homework, and I didn't have to worry about exerting the copy machine!

So, go forth! Sign up for Google!

...and if you need an invitation to sign up, ask me.


Source: My ingenuity. Be in awe.

1 comment: