Friday, February 6, 2009

Post #2

In honor of this particular entry, I would like to start with a few wise words from a deeply influential man...
Blank


I don't know about you, but my school is always trying to get us to use more technology. Schools recognize that with each passing year, technology becomes more ingrained in our students' lives. As a result, we have to take on the task of adapting our lessons to utilize it. Ultimately, we are responsible for showing them how to use technology and use it wisely; but we also need to weave it into our lessons merely because it is the way this generation communicates. The next few posts will carry this theme, mostly because it's too much for one.

I'm not pretending to be an expert in tech options; there's plenty out there that I might not even touch on (Moodle, for instance) because I haven't used them or they just plain intimidate me. But I'm at least trying to do more. Let's forget for an instant the complaints and arguments of a lack of school resources, or students' resources at home. We're keeping it positive. I know you have limitations; I do, too. I offer the idea; you figure out how to make it work for you. They want us to use more technology, so here's one option:

Online quizzes! Think outside the box here. I'm not saying take a regular in-class quiz and post it online (although you could). Last week my students had a homework assignment which entailed completing a "Which character are you?" personality quiz for Oedipus Rex. (Try it out!) The kids complete quizzes like these all the time for Myspace & Facebook, so why not tap into it? It's a great way to talk about characterization or do some anticipatory activities. After their results, they have to write a brief paragraph about whether or not they agree/disagree with the results, so I know there's some brain stimulation. This was something that was fun to create and gave me a great sense of accomplishment when I finished. I had a lot of fun getting creative and a little silly with the questions and answers.

I used proprofs.com and will probably go back. It's free and it offered a variety of quiz options. But hunt through Google! There are plenty of options out there. And if you find one you like...tell me about it!


Source: I stole this idea from a coworker at SHS

No comments:

Post a Comment