Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Post #1

Let's get this party started!

Here's a little introduction to my classroom and my first suggestion for fellow teachers: have the students do the decorating.

I got this tip from SHS compatriot Ms. Taylor. Now, unfortunately, I took these pictures when my room was still in the stages of decoration transition. But you'll get the idea. I'm always trying to add more color to my walls. So, I love to have the students make posters for me. Just grab that bulletin-board butcher paper, cut (or have students cut) into approximately determined sizes-of-choice and voila! This is an excellent tool for all kinds of activities; I'll share one a little later in how I used these posters in Animal Farm. But my point here is just to use those posters to decorate.

View from my desk, looking left. Note posters on computer, ready to be put up.
View from desk, straight ahead.

View from desk, to the right. Note the bulletin board...
Blurry picture of bulletin board. This is a class assignment they did awhile ago. Saves me from having to make a themed bulletin board!

So there you have it. Suggestion number one: turn students into interior decorating apprentices.


Question: What is one thing you would change about your classroom? (If you have one! If you're a roaming teacher, what is your ideal classroom like?)

My answer: If given the option of only ONE thing to change in my classroom (and I think any of us could think of more than one), I would have my walls sanded & repainted. You might not be able to see it in the pictures, but the paint on my walls is chipping off. I try not to lean against the wall because it will come away with me! You can't see it in the pictures taken from my phone, but those walls are in a sad state.

1 comment:

  1. I am so. jealous. Your classroom is huge!

    Seriously, last year I had 23 desks and could barely get from my desk to the door. This year it's scaled to 16, which gives me lots of walking space. I recently had a 17th student added to one of my classes, and today when the janitor brought the extra desk, he commented, "I don't know where you're going to put it in there, but here it is."

    I think I've answered your question about what I would change. Although I would also love an ELMO. :)

    ReplyDelete